Sunday, October 19, 2008

Veggie patch update



The boysenberry bush is flowering. I can't wait...

My dad has always been a gardener. I never understood why as it seemed like hard, dirty work. Well I was right it is hard work but I am starting to love it. My veggie patch is starting to take shape and last night we had our first meal out of the garden - a silver beet and bacon frittata made with eggs from the neighbours. (We have sowed/planted tomatoes, capsicum, lettuce, carrots, beans, beetroot, zucchini, butternut pumpkin, onion, broccoli, sweetcorn, some herbs, boysenberry, strawberries & sliver beet). It is not perfect, there are weeds and a few plants are struggling but I love the feeling that we are claiming a little independence from this commercial world we live in. And I love seeing things grow where once there was nothing. Strangely it has brought us all closer as a family and it has definitely brought us closer to our Creator. For some reason watching tiny seedlings poke their heads through the soil makes me acutely aware of God's love, grace and awesome power.


On a different note, not much sewing has been happening at the moment. The sunshine is drawing us outside. I did however whip up this little skirt for Anja this afternoon. Quick and easy, but she loved it.

3 comments:

naomi said...

That veggie patch is great!! I wish we could grow one here...might have to do it in pots:( Cute skirt too.

Leah said...

My father-in-law has a veggie garden (or rather, several of them!) He grows almost everything- corn, carrots, lettuce, berries, cabbage, passionfruit, pumpkin, tomato, beans, chillies, capsicum, silverbeet, mandarins, celery, potatoes, onions and oranges... and I've probably forgotten some! Pretty hard-core veggie/fruit-grower ;)

Kylie said...

Your vegetable garden looks great - we have a very small one on the go and really must get some summer vegetables in.

Love the little skirt - it looks great.