Thursday, August 28, 2008
I found this tutorial online and I just had to try it. This little dress is made from a men's button shirt that I bought at an op shop. It is really very easy, adding the ruffle to the bottom took longer than making the rest of the dress. What a great way to recycle clothing!
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Friday, August 22, 2008
Thursday, August 21, 2008
1. Girls who sit on the table will never get married. (I proved her wrong, but I can still hear her saying it.)
2. If you lay down when you eat you will grow horns. (Not entirely true, but I now say it to my kids.)
3. That it is worth unpicking and redoing it. It will look better and you will be a lot happier with the end result.
4. That is doesn’t matter so much how far you come in this life as long as you are in a right relationship with Jesus, and make it to heaven.
5. The being a stay-at-home mum is a honourable and God given occupation. Mum never made excuses for being home and raising us 4. She did it well, teaching and training us to love and follow Jesus. Now as adults all her children are in a right relationship with Him.
6. To always have a few dollars hidden in your wallet for those unexpected things in life. Plus it makes for a nice surprise when you happen upon it one day.
7. To keep a home that is open and inviting and to always have space at the table for one more.
8. How to be a good wife. When Jouke and I first got married I struggled to make him the first person I would turn to in a crisis. It was easier to ring mum or to talk to a friend about the things happening in my life, as this is what I was used to. Mum reminded me that that should be Jouke’s role. Mum and Dad have got a wonderful marriage (of 32 years). The love, devotion and support she gives dad everyday has been so powerful.
9. To spend quiet time with God. I don’t remember being told that daily devotionals were important, but I remember “catching” mum reading her Bible many a times.
10. To have dinner at the table with my family as often as possible
11. The rules of tennis
12. Mum is a brilliant seamstress and any bit of ability I have got I owe to her.
13. How to love my children.
14. You don't need a pantry full of food to serve up a great meal. Tinned corn, some leftovers, eggs and green beans is all she needed to feed an army in 15 minutes flat.
15. Many, many countless things. I find myself doing more and more things like you would have. I even sound just like you at times.
Mum, when I think of you I think of Philippians 4:5 that says: Let your gentleness be evident to all. Your gentle spirit draws people to you and provides a safe place for us all. You are a true Proverbs 31 women, ever striving to be more like Jesus. I will forever be thankful that I can call you Mamma. You will always the voice in my head teaching and guiding me as I now seek to raise my little ones to know and follow Jesus. I am so glad that you are their Ouma and I have full confidence that any time they spend with you will be filled with only good things.
Happy birthday mum, have a wonderful day! I love you!
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Friday, August 15, 2008
2. We have a new addition to our family: a little girl Labrador, Narrah, who needed a new home. She has had very little training and is leaning toward being destructive and jumpy, but she has a lovely nature and I am sure with a little correction will be a loving pet. Toffee cannot believe his luck!
3. I got the chance to go see Mama Mia (for the second time). I just cannot get enough of that movie. It is the scenery, the music, the overacting and corniness, and the great mood it puts me in. If you haven't yet - go see it!
What are 3 great things that happened to you this week?
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Yesterday I stumbled upon this smocket pattern and I just had to sew it for Miss A. It is so easy to make and brings me great joy. The original pattern had ties at the shoulders, but I added some buttons and also a pocket to both sides to make it reversible. I now hope to make it in a smaller size for baby girl and it will definitely be used for a few birthday presents in the future.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
4 jobs I have held
2. Working in a deli
3. Cook/cleaner during a cotton harvest
4 movies I would watch over and over
1. I am Sam
2. How to lose a guy in 10 days
3. Mama Mia!
4. While you were sleeping
4 places I have lived
1. South Africa (all over)
2. Warren, NSW
3. Armidale, NSW
4. Naracoorte, SA (married my sweetheart there!)
4 TV shows I watch
1. 60 minutes
2. All Saints
3. Anything medical
4. Dr. Phil ( I know, I know, but its the psychologist in me)
4 places I have been
1. Kruger National Park, South Africa
2. Kuala Lumpur Airport, Malaysia
3. Sentosa Island, Singapore
4. Rotorua, New Zealand
4 favourite foods
1. Roast dinner
2. Chocolate, in all its forms
4. Mango and other tropical fruits
4 places I'd rather be right now
1. In bed, fast asleep. All I want is 1 night of unbroken sleep.
2. Some island, somewhere on a beautiful, deserted beach with my husband
3. At a water park, having fun with the kids
4. In heaven, where there will be no more pain or sorrow and where I will be in the presence of my Lord and Maker!
Join the fun and let me know 4 things about you.