Sunday, June 22, 2008

$4 biscuits

One of my dearest friends is a wonderful wife, mother of 4, homeschooler, brilliant homemaker and an expert at frugal living. I could learn a lot from her.

Last year for my birthday she made me a recipe book! She called it Tempting Tucker for Tough Times. It is a wonderful collection of over 130 recipes to make cooking on a budget easy and tasty. She presented it to me bound in a book complete with a beautiful picture drawn by her then 5 year old as the front cover. As I am sure you could appreciate it has become one of my most treasured possessions.

One of the recipes I use most is her $4 biscuits. For $4 you could make over 120 biscuits and best of all they are easy and can be made with loads of variations to keep things interesting. It is a sure hit at our house. I am sure she wouldn't mind me sharing.

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar (I use a little less)
500g margarine or butter
1 can condensed milk
5 cups SF flour

Method:
Cream butter and sugar. Add the flour and condensed milk. Mix well. Roll into teaspoon sized balls pressing down slightly with a fork. Bake in a moderate oven for about 10-15 minutes or until golden.

If rolling into balls sounds like hard work you could shape the dough into long rolls , wrap in waxed paper and place into the freezer until firm. Now it is easy to slice them thinly. This way also ensure even sized biscuits.

You can add whatever flavouring you want to this mix, but my favourites are choc chip, sultanas or cocoa and coconut.

I thank you dear friend for always striving to make my load a little lighter! You are a dear sister in Christ.

1 comment:

naomi said...

just curious...are you thinking of homeschooling? Would love to know your thoughts on the subject. Your friend sounds like a good one to have!